Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Angela asks her father, "How old is too old for you?"


Special guest writer, Angela Kim, can be seen here holding a tiger kitten in Thailand. What a bitch, right?

"I’ve been living in Los Angeles for over a year now and I’ve only recently become aware of the importance of age or lack thereof. I’m uncertain of whether it’s because I live in a youth-centric city or because I have reached that age where I would feel old, regardless of my location. Apparently by Hollywood standards 25 is the cutoff age for women. From there your only qualifications are your work merits, which actually means how great of a bitch you are. I’m 24 now, which means by Sept. 29th [NEVER FORGET] my existence will be validated on how much or how little of a bitch I am.

I can even “feel” myself getting older. Not just physically, but mentally as well [boo!]. It’s not as funny to me anymore when I hear that my mom has been feverishly attending morning prayers because I convinced her that I’m dating a black man [“But he understands me, MOM!”]. Or having my dad disapprovingly shake his head when I tell him that I’d like to be a fireman.

You know what else sucks about getting older? I realized that the “I have sex with my dad” jokes increasingly lose their shock value/believability factor as I get older. If one were to say “I love it when my dad pees in my mouth,” at the age of 18, it’s funny because the plausibility of the situation is quite disconcerting. At 26 though, no one will believe that you have sex with your dad because at 26, you’re too old. Even for your own dad.

I guess this past year I learned how old and undesirable I’m going to be next year. That said, I’m still undecided on whether I’m going to spend 24 eagerly anticipating “adulthood” or being depressed about the demise of my youth.

Meh."

Angela Kim is an angsty little Korean who works at a fantastic little Korean BBQ shop up in Hollywood, CA. She enjoys taking pictures of things, wearing clothes, and things that am funnies. If you add an M to the beginning of her name, you could call her Mangela.

Mangela Kim keeps a very funny blog, FATTYLINEBACKER, as well as a halfway-decent twitter. Follow her @angerrrah.


If you missed any of the previous entries in this collection, here are the links.
Tawny Lynn Rose v2.0
Kelly Mahoney learned some lessons in 2009, wants pizza in 2010
Candice Brown gains a new family in 2009
The Sloh Abides
Erin has the ingredients for happiness in 2010
Kelly Vargas wants you to know that you've kept her in a welcome prison
Joe Zavella's the man who loves you
Viet Nguyen used to be too young to live
Jake Kilroy's take on "growing up" in 2009
Keith Hernandez talks about travel and family in 2009
James Park drops some truth bombs about 2009
I talk about lessons learned, '09 style

Or click here to view all the posts on one page.

No comments:

Post a Comment