Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Metal In Me

There's a little bit of Metal in me. It's a bit strange to say, but yeah. I'm kind of a fan of Metal. It happened long ago, on a warm Southern California evening when my brother introduced me to two radio stations, Pirate Radio and KNAC, both of which no longer exist. Anyhow, from the ages of 6-10 or so, all I would listen to was metal, because that's what my brothers listened to. I had no choice but to succumb to metal's fierce will otherwise I was led to believe that Judas Priest would summon a Dragon to come and burn me to a crisp.

Speaking of Judas Priest:


Anyhow, my point here is that I don't actually like metal. I mean, I do, but I don't. At least not in the way your normal metal fan enjoys it. I just find a lot of it so incredibly hilarious that I can do nothing but offer it my love. I mean, seriously! Did you or did you not just watch Judas Priest rob a bank using nothing but their ability to rock the fuck out? And often times, it's not just the videos that are entertaining, but the music itself is actually quite impressive on some strange level. I'm not a fan of crazy-wacky guitar solos, unless they're in Metal songs.

I feel like if there's a place at all for crazy-wacky guitar solos, it's in Metal and Metal alone (I will, however, let Dinosaur Jr., Stephen Malkmus, and Wilco's Sky Blue Sky, slide though). Take for instance the dueling face-melters of Iron Maiden's "The Trooper":



Anyhow, I think you get my points. So I'll leave you with two videos that I have a severe love/hate relationship with:



And the most ridiculous combination of things I hate: Chris Angel, Magic, and 80's Glam Metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment